2. rain. or more specifically, petrichor: the scent of rain on dry earth. it's like dirt waking up from a long, deep, peaceful sleep, and then laying there soaking in all the earth's beauty at once.
which brings me to my next one...
3. dirt. anytime I plant something, my senses are just overcome with yumminess. I actually had a bit of a.. ahem... problem with this during my last pregnancy (and you thought only crazies got pica). but no worries, some better prenatal vitamins fixed it. well..... mostly.
4. new baby. also known by the more popular term: mama crack.
5. husband. anytime and anywhere. except when he's dirty and sweaty from some construction project and likely covered in toxic chemicals. so really, just normal, clean husband smell.
6. bread baking.
7. the moment after birthday candles are blown out. it's like the smell of arson and happiness all invading your olfactory bulb in a sensation of overall awesomeness and nostalgia. even if you had lousy birthdays as a kid.
8. lakes. oh, man. it's the smell of my New England childhood.
9. the ocean. that salty, dead seaweed stank that you used to roll your window down (remember when windows rolled down?) with your siblings as you approached the beach to see who could smell it first. so delicious.
10. citrus, allspice, and christmas trees. it's like breathing in vaporized holiday cheer. if Bob Cratchit had only harnessed this scent and diffused it through Scrooge's home.. he would have obliterated his vendetta against Christmas faster than R'as Al Ghul and the Narrows in Gotham City.
And there you have it. My 10 fave smells. All brainstormed up while cooking green curry and dodging toys and children on my kitchen floor in the most absurd dance.